Wednesday 27 January 2016

Challenges a plenty..



Life is a funny thing...just when you think things are going wonderfully, something comes up, and BOOM! Suddenly it feels like the world as we know it is crumbling down. I've been reading a lot of Gay Hendricks lately, and if you haven't read his book on the Big Leap then you totally should. It's definitely worth a read. He talks about the glass ceiling that we hit - the proverbial thermostat that keeps you living within a certain equilibrium.

Well, I have certainly hit my own glass ceiling this week. One of my challenges, ongoing challenges, is my foot. I have a rather unique ability to grow extra bone, and it has been doing it rather dramatically lately. The upshot is that I am going to need surgery to sort it out. How does this relate I hear you ask? Well, I have always been an exercise fanatic - I love it, it fills me with joy - especially when exercise meets dance. Suddenly I can't dance, leap, jump, lunge or a multitude of movements. Once upon a time I would be feeling sorry for me..hid in the corner and waited until the sun came out again. 

Part of the evolution of life, is being able to adapt to the challenges that come your way, and view them as learning opportunities. So, in view of that, I have adapted. Rather than focusing on what I can't do, I am looking at what I can do. I can do cardio on the cross-trainer, do weights with some slight tweeks. I can swim, and I can do yoga - with modifications. 

I challenge you dear soul, to look at your own life. Where are you hitting your own glass ceiling? What behaviour would that have presented previously? What can you do in the here and now? What can you be grateful for? The sun is truly shining in and through you. Can you feel it?

Namaste xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment